Friday 17 August 2007

The Alps

For the second part of my holiday this year I stayed in a villa located in the Alps. The house was situated in a valley which meant we had mountains all around us. Even though we were in the valley we must have been fairly high up since clouds appeared very low. In fact one day there was a thunderstorm and after a while my dad realised that we were standing inside of the thunder cloud. Noticing his haste to return inside I copied him and instead watched sky!

During the week in the Alps we went up two mountains by cable car. One of the mountains was 10,000ft high and the second was 11,000ft. At that those kinds of heights the temperature really does drop at the summit. When climbing the 11,000ft mountain the temperature dropped from 32c to 0c! As you will see in the pictures Glaciers were at the top peaks and on the 11,000ft mountain we were actually above the cloud. We also visited a third mountain during our visit to the Alps which we actually climbed! It was 5000ft high and at the top was a mountain lake. The lake does look beautiful in the pictures but at the time it seemed a bit disappointing. I think the mere fact it took 3 hours to reach the lake I was beginning to imagine something more worthwhile!

Not only were going up the mountains amazing but so was simply walking around them. Most of the pictures taken in the Alps were taken looking up at the mountains. At one point I managed to take a picture of a snow capped mountain with two greener mountains either side. The scenery was absolutely stunning! It’s something you only ever seem to see in Microsoft desktop background!

Overall it was a good fun time. Only after I got home I realised how pure the Alpine air was and I really do miss it. Next year the family are thinking of returning to a different part of the Alps, perhaps ever going to Italian Alps. I have included some of the pictures which I took during the holiday in this post.

0 comments: